Wednesday 21 December 2011

On A Rock Mission

Aqua Aura Quartz Earrings & Ring Set

It all started with Princess Polly. Here I was bored and surfing my fav. online stores when I saw clear quartz point studs which hung like icicles from the ear from the Erin Wasson "Low Luv" range, which was being stocked at Princess Polly. I was all ready to click and drain my account when I saw that they were $90. Pfft. I'm sorry, I know in the scheme of the world and prices that's really not a lot to ask and at another time of my life when I wasn't a poor TAFE student I would not have even blinked and bought them. Also, however, now that I am studying fashion I have a much better idea of the real worth of retail product AND $90 for cut rocks glued to brass is a GD RIP OFF. TO THE MAX. I get that the wholesaler has to mark up X amount to make money and that the retailers have to mark up approximately another 100% to make money but $90? FOR TWO ROCKS? Like the kind of rocks you can dig up in the bush with a stick... not happening. 

SO, determined to have earrings as close as possible I went on a scoping mission to see what was out there in the big bad world. I thought of even making them myself (even though I'd never done it before but I'm still keen to have a go). On my "travels" I stumbled across a bluish quartz which immediately caught my eye and I  liked it so much more than the clear. Turns out quartz can be... "infused" I suppose you could say, with other minerals which in turn reacts chemically and creates a new colour on the quartz. The blue is achieved with "infusing" it with gold (I can't remember the method exactly, kinda just skimmed over it in excitement). I decided I HAD to have a pair just like the Erin Wasson ones but in this blue, known as "Aqua Aura"(description below). I found a lovely lady on Etsy to customise me a pair and even make me a ring too!! I AM TOO EXCITED!! That's the set in the pic, I should get them soon!! YAY!!

This whole mission has made me want to dabble a bit in crystal & raw material jewellery making, would be a bit of fun experimentation which if I suppose if any of it is good enough maybe I could sell. Yay for extra income (which will probably go straaaaight back into paying TAFE fees haaaa). Strange I didn't want to try sooner, I was absolutely obsessed with rocks as a child.

This is just one description I found for "Aqua Aura" Quartz:

~Can Enhance Intuition & Communication
~Attracts Wealth & Success
~Boosts Immune System
~Will Balance Emotions 

No comments:

Post a Comment