Wednesday 28 December 2011

Committing to the ink asylum



1.P22 Cezanne
2. Santos Dumont
3.Cabaletta
4.Achilles

One of these vertically down my spine... which font? I like them all!

For  a while now I've been wanting to get a tattoo but I didn't want to be one of those girls who got something like a flower "because it was pretty" or a band/movie tattoo "because they're my favourite" or some cliche quote - I wanted something that meant a lot to me or a poignant reminder while being classic, poetic and arty. I found (or discovered rather) just the perfect thing.

My mother told me something about the passing of my youngest brother, something that happened to her just after he'd passed. As somebody who is just generally interested in everything (like myself) she'd read (or heard) that on the third day after somebody dies the soul leaves the body. She told me that for the first two days after he'd died she felt as though he hadn't gone and that he was still here. On the third day, however, she stepped outside and looked at the sky and it was filled with birds, then, she said, she felt as though he'd finally passed and after so much suffering he was at peace, free.

There was the first part down - something that meant so much to me. I worded it as follows "On the third day the sky filled with thousands of birds then his soul was free." I also wanted something to do with my Scottish heritage so I decided to get it translated into Scottish Gaelic. I did a lot of research and internet scouring but finally found somebody who knew what they were talking about and the translation is as follows "Air an treas latha, lìon an t-adhar le mìltean de dh'eòin agus bha anam air a shaoradh".

The only thing left to do now is pick a font! THIS is the tricky part. I love the look of handwriting and cursive scripts but I also love the idea of going that one step further with the heritage thing and having it in a Gaelic/Celtic font... hmm... decisions decisions... 

No comments:

Post a Comment